Taiwan Film Festival

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Spring: The Story of Hsu Chin-yu


spring.jpg
Originally uploaded by claireclaire.
SPRING: THE STORY OF HSU CHIN-YU
春天:許金玉的故事
Chuntian: Hsu Chin-Yu de gushi

Directed by Tseng Wen-chen
導演 曾文珍
(2003)

Why did Hsu Ching-yu spend many years in prison for participating in an English class and supporting equal pay for Taiwanese and mainland employees? Even worse, her mainland Chinese English teacher was executed. Both were victims of the reactionary White Terror that swept through Taiwan in the 1950s. We meet Hsu as an old woman and follow her as she retraces her past, a history suppressed for four decades but now accessible through this film. By turns an adopted daughter, factory worker, political dissident, wife, and owner of an egg shop, Hsu Ching Yu’s life bears witness to the tumultuous changes in Taiwan over the twentieth century.

1 Comments:

  • Hallo , I'm one student from East Europe who want to now more for you'r festival .Is this a students festival or long movies ?I just wont to keep some relations with you , but I haven't seen some of you'r movies. If you can , please send me something on my e-mail : wow_argentina@hotmail.com.Somethink about you and e.c.t . I hope that you will write me . Bye

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 27, 2006 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home